To get the ideal body weight, you need to maintain a healthy diet and exercise regularly. One of the choices of exercise that can be done is yoga to lose weight. Let's see what yoga movements or poses can lose weight in the following article.
Calories burned during yoga is not as much as when you do cardio and aerobic exercise. However, yoga practice has a different concept and method from cardio or aerobic exercise for weight loss.
Not only through burning calories in every movement, yoga can also encourage someone to be more aware and focus on living a healthier lifestyle.
In addition, yoga is also said to be able to help suppress appetite, deal with stress, and make sleep better. This is what makes yoga good for weight loss.
Yoga Poses for Weight Loss
Each yoga movement has different benefits. nowThere are three types of yoga movements for weight loss, namely:
Position sun salutation or Surya Namaskara
This yoga pose can be done in the following ways:
- Start in a standing position, then inhale and move your arms straight above your head.
- Exhale and bend over while keeping your back straight. Then straighten your arms down until your fingers touch the floor, placing your fingers in front of your toes.
- Inhale and then position the body on the stomach and support the body using both forearms and legs (plank position). Hold this position for at least 5-10 seconds while inhaling and exhaling.
- Then slowly lower your knees to the floor followed by lowering your chest and chin to the floor. After that, straighten your arms to lift your body while lifting your head, keeping your knees touching the floor.
- Now, change your posture. Lift your hips up and place your palms on the floor in front of you and your feet behind you until your body position resembles an inverted V. Hold this position for 5 – 8 seconds.
- After that, lift your body up to return to position number 2. Then position your body standing straight like the initial position, while inhaling and raising your arms straight up. Then, place both hands at the sides of the body in a relaxed manner while controlling your breathing.
Do this movement 10 times. Increase the intensity by holding the position for longer periods of time or by increasing the tempo of the movement.
The following is the order of how to do yoga boat position:
- Start in a sitting position on the mat. Bend both knees in front of you and both feet flat on the floor.
- With your palms facing up, straighten your arms in front of you until your hands are rubbing against the sides of your knees.
- Lean back until your body forms a 45-degree angle with the floor.
- Slowly lift your feet off the floor until they are at knee level, if you can straighten your legs until they form a V shape.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds while breathing and keeping your shoulders relaxed. Repeat this movement five times.
The plank position is the simplest yoga pose for weight loss. In addition to losing weight, planks can also be done to train the strength of the abdominal and back muscles.
Here's how to do the right plank position:
- Start in a prone position, then support the body using both elbows and feet. Make sure that your elbows are in line with your shoulders.
- Maintain the body position and keep the body position in a straight line while holding the abdominal muscles.
- Hold the movement for 1 minute then return to your stomach. Repeat this movement for 10-15 minutes.
If you are not used to doing yoga, you can start by doing simpler yoga movements, including yoga for beginners. Once you get used to doing yoga, try some yoga moves to lose weight.
But remember, to get the ideal body weight with yoga, this exercise needs to be done regularly and regularly, for example 3 times a week. You can also combine yoga moves with other sports, such as jogging, pilates, cycling, or swimming.