It has a sweet and delicious taste, making durian fruit liked by many people. However, when pregnant, many women consider this fruit as the "enemy". This is because eating durian while pregnant is said to be harmful to the fetus. Is that true?
There are many pregnancy myths circulating, one of which is that eating durian while pregnant can harm the fetus because it can cause miscarriage, especially during the first trimester. Because of this assumption, some pregnant women stay away from durian fruit and do not eat it at all until the day of delivery arrives.
These are the facts about eating durian while pregnant
Actually, eating durian while pregnant is not prohibited. So far, no research has been found that confirms this assumption. As long as it is consumed in normal amounts, eating durian fruit during pregnancy will not harm the health of pregnant women and their fetuses.
In fact, consuming this fruit during pregnancy can actually provide health benefits, such as supporting the process of fetal growth and development, improving digestion, and increasing energy.
This benefit is obtained from the nutritional content found in durian. Fruit with Latin name Durio zibethinus It contains a number of important nutrients needed by pregnant women, including carbohydrates, fats, fiber, protein, folate, B vitamins, vitamin C, as well as manganese, potassium, iron, calcium, and magnesium.
Tips for Safe Eating Durian During Pregnancy
Durian fruit does contain nutrients that can support the health of pregnant women and fetuses. However, pregnant women who have certain medical conditions, such as gestational diabetes, high blood pressure, and preeclampsia, may need to avoid or limit their intake of this fruit.
The reason, durian contains high sugar and carbohydrates. If consumed in excess, durian can increase blood sugar levels of pregnant women.
In addition, eating durian in excessive amounts can also make pregnant women's blood pressure rise. Pregnant women who are obese also need to think again about eating this fruit, because durian contains high enough calories.
If pregnant women have these medical conditions, it is better to consult with a doctor before consuming durian, yes.
In order to get the health benefits of durian, there are some safe tips to eat this fruit during pregnancy, namely:
- Choose a durian that has a bright color and no stains on the durian skin. Stains on this fruit can indicate that the durian is rotten or not fresh.
- Look at the durian stem. Choose durian fruit that has a stem that is not dry and light in color.
- Shake this fruit before buying it. Do not choose durian that makes a sound when shaken, because it indicates the fruit is not fresh.
- Do not consume this fruit together with alcoholic beverages. This is because the consumption of durian and these drinks can make pregnant women feel nauseous, vomit, and have chest palpitations.
- Limit durian consumption to no more than 250 grams per day or the equivalent of 2−3 durian fruit seeds.
So, in conclusion, eating durian while pregnant is not harmful to the health of pregnant women and fetuses. However, with a note that pregnant women do not consume it excessively, yes.
If pregnant women still feel hesitant to eat durian while pregnant or eat certain foods because they are worried that it could harm the health of the fetus, pregnant women can ask the doctor to be sure.