Polycarbophil or calcium polycarbophil is a fiber supplement to treat constipation or constipation. In addition, this drug is sometimes also used to help relieve symptoms of diabetes irritable bowel syndrome.
Polycarbophil works to help form stool mass (bulky stool), which can help trigger bowel movements. In addition, this drug can also increase the water content in the stool. That way, the stool will be softer and easier to pass.
Polycarbophil trademark: -
What is Polycarbophil
|Fiber supplements or mass-forming laxatives (bulk-forming laxative)
|Adults and children
Polycarbophil for pregnant and lactating women
|Category N:Not categorized.
It is not known whether polycarbophil is absorbed into breast milk or not. If you are breastfeeding, do not use this medicine without consulting your doctor first.
Precautions Before Taking Polycarbophil
There are several things you should pay attention to before consuming polycarbophil, including:
- Do not take polycarbophil if you are allergic to this drug. Tell your doctor about any allergies you have.
- Talk to your doctor about using polycarbophil if you have or are suffering from intestinal obstruction, difficulty swallowing, rectal bleeding, high levels of calcium in your blood, or have been constipated for more than 2 weeks.
- Talk to your doctor about using polycarbophil if you are taking certain medications, supplements, or herbal products.
- Talk to your doctor about using polycarbophil if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or planning a pregnancy.
- See your doctor immediately if you have an allergic reaction to the drug, serious side effects, or an overdose after taking polycarbophil.
Dosage and Rules for Use of Polycarbophil
The dose of polycarbophil will be given by the doctor according to the condition and age of the patient. In general, the following is the dosage of polycarbophil based on the patient's age:
- Mature: 1,250 mg, 1-4 times a day, taken with a 250 ml glass of water. The maximum dose is 6,000 mg per day.
- Children >12 years old: 1,250 mg, 1-4 times a day, taken with a 250 ml glass of water. The maximum dose is 6,000 mg per day.
How to Consume Polycarbophil Correctly
Follow your doctor's advice and read the instructions on the medicine package before starting to take polycarbophil. Do not change the dose without consulting your doctor first.
Polycarbophil can be taken before or after meals. Take polycarbophil tablets with the help of a glass of water to swallow the polycarbophil tablets whole. After that, drink another glass of water.
Polycarbophil chewable tablet form can be consumed by chewing the tablet before swallowing, and drinking water afterward.
You are advised to always consume enough water while undergoing treatment with polycarbophil.
If you forget to take it, it is advisable to consume it immediately if the break with the next schedule is not too close. If it is close, ignore it and do not double the dose.
Store polycarbophil in a room at room temperature. Do not store it in a humid place or in direct sunlight. Keep this medicine out of reach of children.
Polycarbophil Interactions with Other Drugs
When used with tetracycline, doxycycline, or minocycline drugs, polycarbophil can decrease the levels and effects of these drugs.
To prevent the effects of drug interactions, tell your doctor if you are taking any medications, supplements, or herbal products.
Side Effects and Dangers of Polycarbophil
Some side effects that may occur after taking polycarbophil are:
- Stomach pain or stomach cramps
Check with your doctor if the side effects above do not subside. Immediately see a doctor if an allergic reaction occurs to a drug or a more serious side effect occurs, such as:
- Severe stomach cramps
- Throw up
- Chest pain
- Bleeding in the rectum
- Difficulty swallowing or difficulty breathing