In Indonesia, the function of puskesmas is to provide health services to the community through the Community Health Efforts (UKM) and Individual Health Efforts (UKP) programs. Puskesmas is also a first-level health facility, which means that the puskesmas is a facility at the forefront of providing health services to the community.
As the name implies, the SME program is aimed at maintaining and improving health. In addition, this program also carries out activities to prevent and overcome health problems in families and communities. Meanwhile, the UKP program is more focused on individual health issues.
The Puskesmas is equipped with competent medical personnel, including doctors, dentists, midwives, nurses, laboratory workers, environmental and community health workers, and nutritionists.
With existing resources, puskesmas offer a variety of affordable health services, such as counseling, maternal and child health services, immunization, nutrition services and posyandu development, as well as disease prevention and control, both communicable and non-communicable diseases.
Health Facilities and Services at the Puskesmas
Despite its status as a first-level health facility, the puskesmas still has reliable facilities to serve patients. Health facilities and services that you can get at the puskesmas consist of outpatient and inpatient care.
Health services at puskesmas are not as complete as in big hospitals, but patients can still get adequate care, such as:
- First-rate outpatientProvide disease prevention services, consultation, and treatment advice to patients who do not require hospitalization.
- First-rate hospitalizationOutpatient treatment accompanied by additional inpatient facilities according to medical indications.
- Health screening servicesServices provided for patients at risk of chronic diseases, such as type 2 diabetes, hypertension, and cervical cancer.
- Maternal and child health servicesExamination of the condition of pregnant women, assisting with childbirth, postpartum care, breastfeeding, family planning programs, and basic immunizations for infants and children. Specifically in assisting normal deliveries, puskesmas can also provide inpatient services.
BPJS User Health Services at the Puskesmas
Since 2014, the Indonesian government has established a national-scale health insurance system called the Social Security Administering Body (BPJS). By becoming a BPJS participant and paying dues according to their obligations, participants are entitled to health services in accordance with their rights.
The advantage of being a member of BPJS is getting health services at a reduced cost or even without being charged at all. What are the facilities that can be obtained? Check out the following explanation:
- If you are outside the area of the puskesmas or health facility (faskes) where you are registered, you can still seek treatment at any puskesmas, not necessarily at the puskesmas where you are registered.
- In the event of an emergency, you can also get health services at any puskesmas or health facilities.
- If you need advanced health services, the doctor at the puskesmas or health facility will provide a referral so that you can continue your treatment to a more complete health care facility, such as a hospital.
Seeing the full range of health services provided, you don't need to hesitate to seek treatment at the puskesmas. In addition to a fairly complete service, the puskesmas is also supported by professional medical personnel and facilities that meet standards.
If there are critical conditions or certain diseases that need to be treated by specialist doctors and require facilities that are not available at the puskesmas, the puskesmas can provide a cover letter to refer patients to advanced health facilities, namely hospitals.