Many married couples come to the obstetrician to ask how to choose the sex of their baby. Aweldit can be because want to continue the surname or want a different gender with previous child. Can this be done and how?
In the medical world, sex selection methods and techniques have undergone many developments from time to time. Selection of the sex of this baby can be done by natural methods or with medical assistance. However, regardless of the method, the sex of the baby can still not be as desired.
Method uto Choose Baby's Gender
Selection of the sex of the baby is done before the fertilization process. The trick is to isolate the sperm carrying the X chromosome and the sperm carrying the Y chromosome before fertilizing the egg, so that the sex of the fertilized baby can be regulated.
Sperm can carry either an X or a Y chromosome, while eggs only carry an X chromosome. When an egg is fertilized by a sperm carrying an X chromosome, the result is a girl. But if the egg is fertilized by a sperm carrying the Y chromosome, it will be a boy.
Sperm sorting aims to produce a semen sample with a higher proportion of X sperm or more Y sperm. That way, the chances of getting the sex you want will increase.
There are several methods of sperm selection known in the medical world, namely:
- Ericsson methodThis method has a success rate of 78-85% for boys and 73-75% for girls.
- MicroSort methodThe MicroSort method has a success rate of 75% for boys and 90% for girls.
- PGD method (Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis)The PGD method for IVF has an accuracy close to 100%. However, patients need sufficient consultation to choose this method.
Is there a method that Easierand Natural?
In addition to the three medical procedures above, you can plan your baby's gender in a natural way. To get the desired sex of the baby, you need to go on a special diet and schedule sexual intercourse. The percentage of success of this method is around 70-80%.
Diet or eating patterns need to be done before conception, not during pregnancy. The method is as follows:
Dietto get a boy
In order to have a boy, it is recommended that you:
- Meet the intake of 2500 calories / day.
- Increase sodium intake, for example from salted fish, salted eggs, meat, cereals, vegetable juices, canned foods, and bread.
- Increase potassium intake, for example from bananas, potatoes, green leaves, avocado, milk, cooked tomatoes, fish, mushrooms, and pumpkin.
- Avoid milk, butter, cheese and yogurt.
Diet to get a girl
In order to have a girl, it is recommended that you:
- Limiting intake
- Eat vegetables that are low in sodium.
- Eat foods high in magnesium, such as avocados, yogurt, whole grains, soy, fish, dark green leaves, bananas, and chocolate.
- Increase calcium intake, for example from milk, cheese, yogurt, tofu, spinach, nuts, anchovies, and shellfish.
- Avoid salt, yeast, meat, fish, coffee, and fizzy drinks.
This diet program needs to be done for 9-12 weeks before you do a pregnancy program. If you're using family planning, don't let go of your birth control before the diet program is over. After the diet is complete, schedule sex with the Shettles method.
Schedule hSexual intercourse with the Shettles Method
If you want a boy, you are encouraged to have sexual intercourse as close to the fertile period as possible. Do douche vaginally with an alkaline fluid, such as sparkling water, 15 minutes before having sex. According to research, this method produces boys with a success rate of 57%.
If you want a girl, have sex every day from the start of your menstrual cycle until 2 days before your fertile window. Do douche vaginally with acidic fluids, 15 minutes before sexual intercourse.
In conclusion, the sex of the baby can be planned. However, the success rate varies and is influenced by many factors. What needs to be underlined, the above method cannot be done alone, but must be under the guidance of a doctor. So, first consult with a doctor so that the chances of success are greater.
dr. Akbar Novan Dwi Saputra, SpOG(gynecologist)