So far, many people know oyster mushrooms only as complementary foods or snacks. In fact, the benefits of oyster mushrooms are not limited to that. This mushroom holds a lot of potential to support body health.
Oyster mushroom is one type of mushroom that is widely sold in the market. This mushroom contains many substances that are important for the body, including fiber, beta glucan, B vitamins, minerals, potassium, and several types of carbohydrates. This mushroom is good for consumption because it is fat-free, low in calories, and cholesterol-free.
Oyster Mushroom Benefits for Health
Although it still needs further research, oyster mushrooms are believed to have the potential to help prevent and treat various health problems, such as atherosclerosis, diabetes, high cholesterol, and respiratory infections, as well as stimulate the immune system and fight cancer.
In addition, oyster mushrooms are also believed to provide many other benefits, such as:
- Fight free radicalsThe benefits of oyster mushrooms contain antioxidants that can help ward off free radicals. Free radicals are very dangerous for the body because they can trigger heart problems and cancer. In addition, antioxidants also play a role in increasing the immune system and protecting the skin from aging.
- Maintain heart healthContent beta glucan contained in oyster mushrooms can play a major role in controlling cholesterol levels in the blood while maintaining heart health. In addition, oyster mushrooms also contain potassium which functions to maintain heart, muscle and nerve function.
- Prevent diabetesIn addition to maintaining heart health, beta glucan also helps control blood sugar to reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. Oyster mushrooms also contain B vitamins that function to support the performance of red blood cells, the digestive system, and maintain healthy skin.
- Maintain healthy bones and nervesThe benefits of oyster mushrooms are also believed to help maintain healthy bones and nerves because they contain copper. Oyster mushrooms also contain pantothenic acid which is good for supporting the performance of the nervous system and helping to produce the needed hormones.
- Overcome respiratory tract infectionsAccording to research on children, the benefits of oyster mushrooms can also help relieve upper respiratory infections because they have anti-allergic effects. However, this effect still requires further verification to confirm its validity.
- Prevent cancer growthBased on research results, oyster mushroom extract has cancer-fighting properties. This substance works by increasing certain immune cells, thereby suppressing the growth and spread of tumors or cancers in several parts of the body such as the breast and colon.
Although there are various benefits for oyster mushrooms, you must be careful in consuming them, especially if you are allergic to these mushrooms. Try to always buy oyster mushrooms at the market or supermarket to ensure safety. Never eat oyster mushrooms that are obtained directly from the wild because of the risk of causing poisoning.