Rock kidney couldcause irritation on urinary tract and cause pain when urinating. Kidney stones are mineral deposits resembling stones that form in the kidneys, and can flow through the urinary tract. Knowing how to treat kidney stones can help you avoid complications which is dangerous.
The formation of kidney stones is generally only felt when the kidney stone moves or clogs the channel in the kidney, or when the stone flows carried by urine from the kidney into the urinary tract.
Symptoms that may arise include low back or back pain, pain when urinating, pain around the groin, red, brown, or pink urine, and nausea and vomiting.
Various Ways to Treat Kidney Stones
Kidney stones can be treated in several ways, depending on their size and cause. To treat small kidney stones, you can consume 2 to 3 liters of water, or 8 to 10 glasses per day. This method can help flush small kidney stone deposits from your kidneys and urinary tract.
In addition to drinking water, kidney stones can also be treated in the following ways:
- Taking painkillersWhen kidney stones move from the kidneys to the urinary tract, you may feel pain in the urinary tract. In this condition, you can take paracetamol or other pain relievers as recommended by your doctor, to relieve the pain you are experiencing.
- Undergoing medical treatmentTo help treat kidney stones, doctors can also give drugs class alpha blocker. This treatment is useful for relaxing the urinary tract muscles, making it easier for kidney stones to pass out of the body without causing pain.
- Taking herbal medicineAs an alternative treatment, you can also take herbal medicine. One of them is herbal medicine containing kejibeling leaves and tempuyung leaves. Both plants contain flavonoid bioactive compounds and are believed to have properties to treat kidney stones. Although it has been used for a long time in Indonesia, further research is still needed to prove the effectiveness of this traditional medicine.
How to prevent kidney stones before it's too late
Before the formation of kidney stones in the body, it would be nice if you start implementing a healthy diet and lifestyle. The easiest way to do this is by drinking water and exercising regularly. You can also prevent kidney stones in the following ways:
- Increase high calcium foodsThere are several types of foods that are high in calcium, including green vegetables such as spinach, broccoli, or bok choy, as well as sardines and salmon.
- Reduce salt consumptionToo much salt in the urine will inhibit the absorption of calcium and increase the risk of kidney stones.
- Avoid vitamin C supplementsThe habit of taking vitamin C supplements, especially for men, increases the risk of kidney stones. It is better to choose foods that contain vitamin C naturally.
- Limit consumption of animal proteinAnimal protein found in poultry, pork, and some types of fish is acidic. If the acid content in the urine increases, the risk of developing kidney stones also increases.
Besides functioning as an herbal treatment for kidney stones, tempuyung leaves also have the potential to help prevent kidney stones. According to research, tempuyung leaves and kejibeling leaves are able to help overcome a number of disorders in the kidneys, including overcoming urinary tract stones and gallstones, as well as preventing mineral deposition which is the beginning of the formation of kidney stones. The combination of these two plants can also help prevent and shed kidney stones, and smooth the urinary tract.
Given that the kidneys have a very important function for the body, maintaining kidney health should not be ignored. If you feel symptoms of kidney problems, including kidney stones, you are advised to immediately consult a doctor. Some people who have experienced kidney stones may experience repeated kidney stone formation, so special treatment is needed to overcome this, such as surgery.