The benefits of drinking milk before bed have been known for a long time. Milk is known to contain compounds that can make the body more relaxed, so you can fall asleep more easily. However, what are the real facts about the benefits of drinking milk on this one?
Drinking milk is often a solution when you have trouble sleeping. Several studies have also found that drinking milk 30 minutes or 1 hour before bedtime, can make people who consume it easier to fall asleep and sleep more soundly.
This is due to the presence of melatonin in milk. However, further research is still needed to ensure the effectiveness of drinking milk in treating insomnia.
Fact Benefits of drinking milk before bed for adults
Milk contains the amino acid tryptophan, which is the main ingredient for producing the hormone serotonin, which plays a role in regulating mood, causing a sense of calm, making the body more relaxed, and triggering drowsiness.
Tryptophan is also an important nutrient that plays a role in the formation of melatonin, a hormone that regulates sleep and wake times. In addition to milk, tryptophan is also contained in a number of foods, such as eggs, fish, and nuts.
However, to date, there is still no evidence to suggest that a glass of milk with sufficient tryptophan or melatonin can induce drowsiness or improve sleep patterns.
There is a study that does show that drinking milk and dairy products according to the recommended daily calcium intake can improve sleep quality. However, this of course must be accompanied by a healthy lifestyle and diet.
Although drinking milk can make sleeping more comfortable, but avoid consuming chocolate milk before bed. This is because chocolate milk contains caffeine which can actually stimulate the body to stay awake.
Fact Benefits of drinking milk before bed for children
The benefits of drinking milk before bed have also not been proven to cause drowsiness in infants and toddlers. However, if the child is sleepy after drinking milk, it is normal.
If you want to give milk to your little one before bed, there are a few things you should pay attention to, namely:
- Make sure the baby is in a sitting position or supported with a sling when feeding from a bottle, because sleeping positions are at risk of causing ear infections.
- Hold the bottle while the baby is drinking and do not leave it alone to avoid the risk of choking.
- Remove the bottle when the baby is fast asleep to avoid the risk of cavities.
- Clean your baby's teeth before going to bed.
- Avoid adding sugar or chocolate to your baby's milk.
If he is more than 6 months old, start to reduce feeding at night so that your little one can learn to sleep on their own without depending on milk. Instead, give him water as the best liquid to close the day.
The benefits of drinking milk before bed still require further research, but you can apply various natural ways to make sleeping easier, including:
- Read a book at least 30 minutes before bed
- Turn off your laptop, television or cell phone
- Turn off the bedroom lights or use a night light
- Wear comfortable nightgowns
- Set the bedroom temperature so it's not too hot or too cold
- Avoid consuming spicy food and caffeinated drinks before bed
- Try aromatherapy which makes the body more relaxed
If you want to find out more about the benefits of drinking milk before going to bed or experience insomnia that has an impact on daily productivity, don't hesitate to consult a doctor so that the right treatment can be done.