There are various ways to maintain the health of a 50-year-old man's body. This is important to do, because with age, the body's resistance will decrease.
One way to maintain the health of men 50 years and over is to have regular health checks. The older you get, the greater your risk of experiencing health problems. In men, increasing age will increase the risk of certain diseases, such as prostate disorders, heart disease, stroke, dementia, or diabetes.
However, if you are diligent about taking care of your body and are able to manage stress, age-related health problems may be slowed or even prevented.
Do a Health Check
It's never too early or too late to change a bad habit and start a good one. Come on, give your body attention by practicing how to maintain a healthy body for men 50 years and over by visiting the hospital for a health check.
Regular health checks as recommended by your doctor can encourage you to improve your lifestyle. Medical check-up can help reveal signs or early warnings of diseases that can attack and may be suffered. In this way the disease can be detected earlier, and can be treated more quickly.
In medical check-up, There are a number of important health checks to be carried out. The doctor will start by tracing your medical history and that of your family, then proceed with a complete physical examination. Starting from weight, blood pressure, heart rate, and respiratory rate, to a head-to-toe physical examination, such as:
- Body mass index, to find out whether your nutritional status.
- Visual abilities tend to deteriorate with age. Eye diseases such as glaucoma, cataracts, diabetic retinopathy and macular degeneration, can affect those who have entered old age.
- Ears, nose and throat, to assess the health of the organs of smell, hearing, respiration and digestion.
- Teeth, need to be checked at least once a year so that the teeth remain healthy.
- Cardiac examination, starting from the approximate size of the heart, to the heart rate.
- Smoking habits, air pollution, environmental influences and lifestyle can affect your lung function. Doctors can perform lung examinations to assess the health of the organs and their functions for the health of the body.
- Examination of digestive organs such as the stomach and intestines is also important, to assess function, and detect diseases such as malignancy or cancer, for example through an endoscopy examination.
- Liver and spleen examination.
- Skin health, whether there are strange moles or freckles.
- Testicles, are there any unusual lumps.
- Prostate, especially if there is a family history of prostate cancer. It is also useful in detecting enlarged prostate glands.
In addition, the doctor may also suggest supporting examinations if needed, such as blood tests, X-rays, heart records, bone density, angiography, to biopsy if suspicious lumps are found.
Controlling the Intake of Food Consumed
In addition to checking the physical condition of the body from head to toe, another way to maintain a healthy body for men 50 years and over is to control the intake of food and drinks consumed.
There are several foods that are recommended for consumption by men 50 years and over, including:
- MoldContains potassium or potassium which can lower blood pressure.
- CherryAccording to research, cherries are able to restore muscle function, inhibit muscle inflammation, reduce pain in muscles, help reduce pain from gout and osteoarthritis, and have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- EggEggs are rich in protein content so they can help overcome reduced muscle mass. In addition, the content of lutein in eggs can reduce the risk of macular degeneration, an eye condition that can cause blindness.
- dark chocolateRich in antioxidants that can help reduce inflammation, the risk of heart disease, protect body cells from damage, and increase levels of good HDL cholesterol.
- BerriesAccording to research, berries can reduce the risk of cancer and prevent the growth of cancer cells.
- AvocadoAvocados are rich in heart-healthy monounsaturated fats and help lower cholesterol levels.
- NutsAble to lower bad LDL cholesterol levels, reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke, reduce blood pressure and blood sugar levels.
Meanwhile, foods that should be avoided include:
- Foods that are high in fat.
- White chocolate is best avoided as it is made mostly of plant fats and added sugars. This makes white chocolate high in calories.
- Red meat with fat.
- Pickles, because they contain a lot of salt that can cause fluid resistance and increase blood pressure.
Healthy Life Support Activities
The following ways to maintain a healthy body for men 50 years and over are doing physical activity to support a healthy life, such as:
- Aerobic exerciseAerobic exercise or often called cardio such as walking, cycling or swimming is recommended to be done regularly, at least for 10 minutes every day or 150 minutes a week. This sport is good for breathing, heart health and body muscles.
- Do a hobby that you enjoyChanneling physical activity by pursuing a hobby that you enjoy can also be an option. Hobby gardening, for example, can keep the body in shape because this hobby requires you to keep moving.
In addition to doing the physical activities above, it is also recommended to meet the needs of good sleep. The ideal sleep time for men aged 50 years and over is between 7-8 hours.
There are various ways to maintain the health of a 50-year-old man's body. In addition to the methods recommended above, you also need to stop smoking, consuming alcohol, or other habits that can harm your health. Consult a doctor to find out how to maintain appropriate body health, especially if you have special health conditions.