Many people think diabetics can't eat well. In fact, there are a variety of foods that are safe for diabetics and taste good too. Check out the full explanation below.
The diet of a diabetic patient does need to be maintained. If the intake is wrong, blood sugar levels can be uncontrolled and increase the risk of diabetes complications. Therefore, it is important for diabetics to pay attention to the nutritional content of the food they want to consume.
Safe Food ufor Diabetics
Here are some foods that are safe for diabetics based on their nutritional content:
1. Kcarbohydrates complex
In general, carbohydrates are divided into 2 types, namely simple carbohydrates and complex carbohydrates. Although both are needed by the body, complex carbohydrates are considered healthier, more nutritious, and safer for consumption by diabetics.
Therefore, diabetics are advised to focus more on healthier sources of carbohydrates, some of which are:
- Tubers, such as potatoes and sweet potatoes
- Fruits, such as tomatoes, bananas, and berries
- Whole grains, such as brown rice and oats
- Legumes, such as beans and peas
- Whole grain products, such as whole wheat bread
In addition, diabetics are recommended to reduce the consumption of refined carbohydrates, such as white bread and white rice, because they can increase blood sugar levels quickly.
Foods that are rich in fiber can help control blood sugar levels so they are safe for consumption by diabetics. There are several choices of high-fiber foods that are good for consumption, including:
- Fruits, such as papayas, apples, and pears
- Vegetables, such as spinach, broccoli, and lettuce
- Nuts, such as peanuts and almonds
- Grains, such as artichoke , chia seeds, and flaxseed
Proteinare nutrients that are included in the 3 essential macronutrients in addition to fats and carbohydrates. Protein is needed by the body for energy sources, building and repairing tissues, and supporting the immune system.
However, diabetics must be wise in choosing protein foods, because they also need to pay attention to the saturated fat and carbohydrate content in it.
To make things easier, here is a list of healthy protein food choices that are good for diabetics:
- Animal protein, such as ground beef or ham, skinless chicken breast, white fish, and eggs
- Vegetable protein, such as kidney beans, black beans, peas, edamame, and tofu
4. Lhealthy mom
Diabetics also need to eat fatty foods, but healthy fats.
Foods that contain unsaturated fats can reduce the risk of diabetes complications, including heart attacks. Some healthy fat choices that can be consumed by diabetics include:
- Monounsaturated fats, such as olive oil, canola oil, avocado, nuts Almondsd , hazelnuts , as well as pumpkin seeds, and sesame
- Polyunsaturated fats, such as sunflower oil, corn oil, walnuts, flaxseed, and fish
5. Vvitamins, minerals and antioxidants
To meet balanced nutrition and help maintain a healthy body, diabetics also need to eat foods rich in vitamins and minerals. Here are some foods high in vitamins and minerals that are good for diabetics:
- Green vegetables rich in vitamins A, C, E, and K, as well as calcium, zinc and potassium
- Strawberries are rich in vitamin C and antioxidants, such as anthocyanins and polyphenols
- Citrus fruits (oranges) are high in fiber, vitamin C, folate, and potassium
- Berries that contain vitamins C and K, as well as manganese, fiber and potassium
Seasoning Mwill that Aman for Psufferer Ddiabetes
For diabetics, there is actually no prohibition against eating delicious foods that use flavoring. However, there are limitations to the choice and amount of flavoring to consider, including:
Adding salt to food for diabetics is actually okay. However, salt consumption should be limited because it can raise blood pressure and adversely affect their health.
The salt intake of people with type 2 diabetes should be limited to less than 1 teaspoon per day. If you want to eat processed or canned foods, make sure the salt or sodium content is less than 140 mg per serving. However, diabetics are advised to reduce their consumption of processed foods.
Diabetics must choose the right foods, especially those that have to do with sugar or sweet foods. If you want to eat sweet foods, diabetics can consider sugar substitutes or artificial sweeteners.
Some sugar substitutes or artificial sweeteners that can be consumed by diabetics are:
- Lo han kuo
Herbs and spices
One study explains that the use of herbs and spices is believed to be able to control blood sugar levels, so it is often claimed as a natural treatment for diabetics.
Plus, herbs and spices can make food taste better, and even reduce the use of salt and sugar. The following are some types of herbs and spices that are good for diabetics:
- Chives leaves
After understanding the explanation above, diabetics don't need to be sad anymore because they can't eat well.
As long as you eat healthy and nutritious foods, and take medications prescribed by your doctor, it is hoped that your blood sugar levels can be well controlled.
Even so, diabetes is a disease that lasts a long time and each diabetic has a different condition. If your diabetes is accompanied by other problems, such as kidney problems or wounds that are difficult to heal, you need to consult a doctor to find out the right food choices.