In Indonesia, basil leaves are often used as fresh vegetables or as a complement to food dishes. Behind the tasteFresh, it turns out that this leaf has various health benefits. So, what are the benefits of basil leaves that you can get.
Basil leaves or basil that thrive in this tropical country are usually used as a mixture of cooking ingredients. However, this plant is also believed to be a traditional medicine. For example, to treat burns, stomach aches, headaches, diarrhea, fever, insect bites, coughs, colds, reduce pain, and as an antibacterial. Unfortunately, medical research to prove the effectiveness of the benefits of basil leaves is still very minimal.
Basil Leaf Nutrient Contents
Basil leaves contain several important nutrients needed by the body. Fresh basil leaves contain water, protein, carbohydrates, antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin, as well as fiber. Not only that, basil leaves also contain other important nutrients, such as calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, folate, vitamins A, B, C, and K, although in small amounts.
Various Benefits Leaf Basil for Health
Some of the benefits of basil leaves that you can get, include:
- Able to treat acneBasil leaf oil is believed to have antibacterial properties that can inhibit acne-causing bacteria. A study revealed, basil leaf oil that has been mixed with certain ingredients, such as orange extract, salicylic acid, and acetic acid, can treat acne and remove acne scars.
- Healthy digestive systemA study revealed that basil leaves are able to prevent symptoms that arise due to ulcers in the stomach. In addition, the benefits of basil leaves can also reduce stomach acid levels and increase the release of the mucus layer that protects the stomach wall.
- Speed up wound healingIn addition to having anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Basil leaves are known to have antiviral, antifungal, and pain-relieving properties. Because of this ability, basil leaves are often used to speed up the wound healing process and prevent infection in the wound. Unfortunately, so far the research related to the benefits of basil leaves for wound healing is still limited to animal studies. Its benefits as a wound medicine in humans still need to be studied more deeply.
- Prevent stressBasil leaves are known to have substances that are useful for helping the body adapt to stress hormones. In addition, this natural substance also plays a role in making the body and mind feel calm and relaxed, helps overcome sleep disorders, improves memory, and helps the body not to tire quickly.
- Has anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer propertiesThe benefits of basil leaves which are also good for health are anti-inflammatory and anticancer. The antioxidant content in basil leaves is thought to play a role in the emergence of these effects. Unfortunately this anti-inflammatory and anticancer properties have only been seen in laboratory studies. The benefits of basil leaves as a medicine to treat certain diseases are still not clearly studied.
The benefits of basil leaves are suspected to be many, but these effects are still limited to laboratory studies on experimental animals. The clinical benefits of basil leaves as a treatment so far have not been ascertained and still need to be investigated further.