Anchovy is one of the popular food ingredients in Indonesian society. Even though it has a small shape, its health benefits are not as small as its size.
Anchovy is a type of fish from the fish family anchovies. Although the size is only about 12 cm, the fish family anchovies has a unique taste characteristic. This fish can be consumed with various types of processing, ranging from salted fish, fried rice ingredients to pickles in vinegar. Cheap and easy to get, making anchovy as one of the popular sources of nutritious food in the community.
Various Benefits of Anchovy for Health
Anchovy has many benefits, both for children and adults. Some of the health benefits of anchovies that you need to know are:
- Rich in nutrients that are good for healthThe benefits of anchovy can not be separated from the nutritional content in it. Anchovy is rich in protein, fat, calcium, iron, and potassium. In addition, anchovies also contain phosphorus, magnesium, zinc, niacin, folate, vitamin A, and vitamin E. These various nutrients make the benefits of anchovy as a side dish that is good for the health of the body.
- Anchovy is good for diabeticsOne doctor who specializes in diabetes revealed that anchovy is one of the good foods for diabetics. This is because anchovies contain protein and good fats. Anchovy also does not contain sugar and carbohydrates, so it does not affect blood sugar levels.
- Able to maintain heart healthOne of the reasons behind the suggestion to eat anchovies is that they are good for heart health. Anchovies contain a lot of fish oil. Not only that, anchovies also contain vitamins, minerals, and omega-3 fatty acids which are good for body health. This last content is considered to have an important role in maintaining heart health. However, keep in mind that a lot of anchovy is processed by frying. This method of processing can make anchovy low in saturated fat so it has a high saturated fat content, so it is dangerous for people with high cholesterol and heart disease. Therefore, you should process anchovies in other, healthier ways.
- Good for bone healthThe benefits of anchovy are considered good for bone health because of its high calcium content. The calcium, magnesium and phosphorus in anchovies, along with vitamins D and C, are a source of essential nutrients needed to keep bones strong.
- Helps maintain brain health and functionOne way to maintain brain health and function is to eat high-nutrient foods. Anchovies contain a variety of good fats, such as omega-3 fatty acids, which are good for maintaining brain function and growth. Several studies have shown that a healthy diet that includes fish in it can prevent the adverse effects of aging on the brain, and reduce the risk of depression and stroke.
Although anchovies are delicious and have many benefits for the body, those of you who suffer from gout are advised to avoid consuming anchovies, especially for types of anchovies that have been processed into salted fish. This is because salted fish contains high amounts of purine compounds, which can cause uric acid recurrence.
Research related to the benefits of anchovy is still very little. However, because anchovies contain a variety of nutrients, there's nothing wrong with including anchovies in your daily menu. It's just that, make sure family members who suffer from hypertension and gout do not consume them in excessive amounts.